Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Day of Exhaustion

It's funny how our minds keep going, despite our bodies pleading for rest. Knowing I had to wake up earlier than normal to taxi my eldest to a Cru meeting this morning, I planned to get to bed relatively early last night. Unbeknownst to me, my mind had different plans. I tossed and turned virtually all night, logging about two hours sleep. Yawn!!

I tried to pinpoint the issue. I have some meds a little out of whack, but I don't think that's the cause of this exhaustion (I'm talking, shaking, freezing, and nausea because my body needs more rest). The little one slept with me and when she starts to fidget, I sometimes awaken to make sure she doesn't have an accident. But, I usually fall back to sleep quickly and feel well rested the next day. Then, it dawned on me. My emotions were on overload! In the course of 24 hours, I had experienced a myriad of emotions: sadness, anger, hurt, loss, clarity, comfort, support, happiness, connection. I think sometimes I overlook giving my spirit rest. 

Day 29: Heavenly Father, thank you for reminding me to rest my spirit. In the course of a day, it seems I don't realize how many moments affect my emotions. Please help me know when to say, "I need rest," before I get to the point of utter exhaustion. Thank you for watching over to me today when I clearly wasn't looking out for myself.

Lord, so often it seems people are pulled to extremes with their emotions. Please draw my loved ones closer to you when they are lost, burdened, overwhelmed, exhausted. Despite my confusion to the cause of my exhaustion at the start of the day, I am thankful for my trust in you to open my eyes to the cause and work to make changes in the future.

Father God, I am thankful for all the emotions you provide. Even when I may not understand my reaction sometimes (like why I cry when I'm happy, sad, comforted, etc), I have such gratitude for getting to experience them. I can't imagine how empty my life would feel if I remained detached from life and all its experiences, good and bad.

Sometimes, God, I forget to connect the dots. As I'm sitting here praying to you, I'm reminded you knew all along we'd experience spiritual exhaustion, which explains why the Sabbath is so vital. (As I say to myself when I miss the obvious, no duh!!) 

I love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment