Sunday, January 12, 2014

Day of Hugs

If I had to give up hugs, I would cry. There are so many messages that can be relayed through hugs: intimacy, compassion, comfort, support, joy, sadness, love, forgiveness, acceptance...the list is endless.

Even without the physical embrace, I can feel God's arms wrapped tightly around me. Talk about a feeling of love, protection, safety, and support. Even not being able to witness Jesus interacting with the sinners, the poor, society's outcasts, I know he embraced them with His open arms. How wonderful to know I share this desire to never know a stranger!!

Day 12: Heavenly Father, thank you for providing us the ability to communicate nonverbally. Sometimes the greatest words are shared in silence through a warm exchange. Lord, help me to welcome all your children with open arms. Through your Son, we have seen witness of turning the other cheek. May I be willing to offer the same compassion to those who have harmed me emotionally, physically, or spiritually. I pray I can learn to open my arms even to those with whom I may still hold pain from their actions. I ask for forgiveness from anyone with whom I have left suffering pain from my actions. May they feel the warm embrace of your Spirit as it washes over them to relay your love and presence.

Father God, why do we hold resentment? You teach us how to be close to you; you provide us the blueprint to happiness here on earth. Lord, what is it in our human hearts preventing us from lifting it all to you and not being held down by our burdens of pain and sorrow? I wish we learned from your lessons instead of from our mistakes. God, I wish we celebrated you through our thanksgiving of easy lives because we followed your road map. But, alas, Lord it seems we are so often bogged down with the crud that we yell out your name to save us because of our misery instead of in our moments of joy. Forgive us. Forgive us for our arrogance in forgetting you when times are wonderful and pleading for your mercy in times of challenge. 

I ask you Lord in Heaven for a never ending supply of hugs. I ask for my children to cherish these moments with others and enjoy the rewards of lifting others' spirits. I ask you to use me to deliver those nonverbal messages of love and support from you.

I love you.



No comments:

Post a Comment