Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Day of Affirmation

One of my favorite books is The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman. I often recommend it to loved ones who are feeling lost in their marriages or have experienced heartache. If you haven't read it, the premise is simple. All humans have a language for which they feel most loved. Maybe it's spending quality time with someone; maybe it's receiving gifts. For me, it's affirmation. When my love language is not fulfilled, I feel distressed.

I hope I am remembered as someone who wants to give my everything to help others. I don't usually expect anything in return, just knowing my giving is appreciated. However, what I learned about myself after reading Chapman's book, is if I give give give without an occasional thank you in return, I start to feel resentful. The coolest thing about knowing your love language aside from knowing God made us all connected through love, your language is a part of you and applicable in ALL relationships, not just romantic ones.

My girls know if I don't hear "thank you" on periodically, I feel like they take me for granted. When I was making arrangements after the loss of my brother, I felt unappreciated when the efforts I was making to bear the burden for my mother were being questioned. Even at work, when I try to ensure I deliver complete and accurate responses to requests, I am disheartened when it doesn't appear my efforts are "good enough" or "fast enough."

I am so grateful for the actions of others filling my love language without them realizing it. Their selflessness allows me be true to who God created me to be.

Day 14: Heavenly Father, thank you for creating us with your image of love. Just now I realize there is no coincidence to my favorite scripture highlighting your greatest commandment of love.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."
(1 Corinthians 13:4-7 NIV)

You have placed so many amazing selfless people in my life. Thank you! I have two wonderful children who fill my love meter daily. Thank you! I work for a company who desires to do the right thing for our customers. Thank you! I have a supervisor who ensures the work of his employees is not disparaged. Thank you! I interact with loving, compassionate coworkers who remind me open conversation with you has helped them in varying ways. Thank you! I am part of a church family who welcomes all your children with open, loving arms. Thank you! I am blessed with a family and many friends who love me despite my many faults and mistakes. Thank you!

Lord, I pray I will never pull away from your loving, protective arms. When I falter, please forgive me. When I fall down, please pick me up. When I am lost, please find me. Father, watch over me, my family, my friends, my peers, my future interactions. Bless us with your gift of love. I know I have only experienced a glimpse of its magnitude. Thank you for all that's in store!!

I love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment