Monday, January 27, 2014

Day of Confession

Are there things in your past you'd rather just forget? Do you have embarrassing or shameful moments you regret and wish you could hide them from others? If you don't, I envy you and would love to know your secret. I can promise you having to share not only am I divorced, but also I am 2x divorced, that's embarrassing. Without explanation, this fact might suggest I have issues (I have plenty, but don't think in this area...smiles). Do you know anyone who faced a legal situation and without knowing the details you assumed she was in the wrong? What if her husband died, leaving her to raise three kids on a high school education and sometimes she stole food to feed her children? I'm not saying breaking the law is justified, but having context of a situation provides better insight.

I was dating someone briefly who felt it necessary to hide his criminal background. Regardless of his embarrassment, was I entitled to know the information from the beginning and make an informed decision of whether or not it bothered me? I think so. Without being truthful and hiding our embarrassments, we place people at a disadvantage. In order to function in trusting relationships, it's imperative to confess ourselves and just let the chips fall where they may. You never know, some people might find your openness admirable!

Day 27: Heavenly Father, thank you for desiring my confessions in order to forgive me and not to damn me. I want to treat others the way I treat you, in open and honest dialogue. Lord, you show me time and again when I share my embarrassments with you, you wrap your arms around me and say I love you anyway. Wow! I'm willing to be vulnerable with others with this type of honesty if it means gaining an open and honest relationship.

Lord, I think most people know keeping secrets weighs on the soul. Why do we do it? Why do we hide, trick, and manipulate when experience has proven most often these actions only cause more pain than the actual "thing" being disguised? I pray I can be approachable, an open book, and not let pride get in the way of being honest and real. Anyone who interacts with me should expect nothing less and despite the good, bad, and ugly, I'll accept the consequences.

Father, your numerous parables using broken people to show your love and compassion provides the evidence we think we need to be inclined to confess. Perhaps, we find it easier to do that in the privacy of our own conversations with you. But, God, I want to be your disciple. I want to live Christ like. In order to fulfill these desires, I must be open and real in all my interactions. Thank you for believing in me when I may not have confidence in myself.

I love you.


Photo: http://jesusplus.org/other-posts/love-each-other

No comments:

Post a Comment