Monday, January 20, 2014

Day of Fanatics

I recently heard someone allude to an open, vocal relationship with Jesus Christ as being fanatical. With such a negative connotation to the word fanatic, e.g. Jim Jones, I decided to investigate the definition a bit further.

(noun) a person with an extreme and uncritical enthusiasm or zeal, as in religion or politics

By definition, the word fanatic seems rather benign, doesn't it? 

How does the definition yield itself to pretty harsh synonyms such as bigot and extremist? Surprisingly, the words appearing most closely related to the definition of fanatic were the most positive: enthusiast and devotee.

Having pondered this for a while today, I'm convinced society attaches the negative connotation to the word fanatic out of fear or lack of understanding. I am thankful to be a Jesus enthusiast, a God devotee, and a Holy Spirit fanatic knowing uplifting His name and trying to be His disciple leads me to His kingdom in Heaven.

When people are very cautious about what they eat, they are viewed as being healthy; couldn't they also be considered fanatics because of their enthusiasm in choosing what to eat? When people exercise daily, they are viewed as dedicated; couldn't they be considered fanatics because of their devotion to an exercise regimen? Both seem pretty positive in my eyes. So, what's wrong with someone who chooses to pray daily, worship daily, or speak about her Father daily? Yup, I'm a fanatic and so thankful for where it will lead me.

Day 20: Heavenly Father, thank you for fostering an enthusiasm for you! Thank you for providing me the freedom to choose a devotion to your teaching. Thank you for the rewards of being a fanatic for you, lifting and praising your name.

Lord, I pray for anyone who fears a personal relationship with you. I know so often the lost feel a commitment with you places additional stress on their broken spirits. Please use me Jesus to share with others the freedom you've provided me by not carrying burdens, not struggling for purpose, and not living a life empty of spirit.

Christ in Heaven, I pray for clarity in my path to become your disciple and emulating your love and compassion. Lord, I am ashamed sometimes when I try to visualize myself in your shoes, among the homeless, the afflicted, the diseased. I don't believe today I would be able to interact with open arms and not act like a Pharisee. Teach me, please! Teach me humility and compassion. 

Father God, I am a fanatic for you! I am devoted to your guidance! I am enthusiastic to pray to your name! Thank you for giving me a life eternal through your Son.

I love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment