Sunday, January 19, 2014

Day of Choices

I spent this day relaxing with my little one having a spontaneous Harry Potter marathon. Our plans today were supposed to include housecleaning; but, I made a choice cuddling was more important!

As I watched this awesomely creative series, I was reminded of all the choices people must make in life. Despite living in utter turmoil, Harry makes a choice to embark on a life completely foreign to him. He's tempted by fame and power, yet chooses to look within and embrace the good found inside him. Harry faces many obstacles trying to prevent his destiny, yet he battles through them all! He had to choose between the easy life by giving up or the never ending battles to save a world.

I know making the right decision can seem like the wrong one because it may be a harder road to follow. But, in the end, God blesses those who do what is right, despite the pain and suffering endured.

The beatitudes explain how to face all the struggles in this world and receive God's blessings in return:

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 

Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. 

Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. 

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. 

Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. 

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. 

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. 

Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 

Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you (Matthew 5:3-12 NIV)

Day 18: Heavenly Father, thank you for free will. Thank you for not controlling our lives, but rather letting us be drawn to you through your Spirit. If you controlled everything, what would be the point? Where would be the lessons? The connection? The relationship with you?

Father, I have made some good decisions and a lot of misguided ones in my life. Thank you for never giving up on me. Even when I fall astray from your plan, you always place a new path before me guiding me back to you. Thank you!

Father God, how do I convince others of your greatness? Of your unending love? Of your compassion? In a world filled with disappointment brought on by our own choices, please help me lovingly convince my friends, families, and strangers that only through you will they feel a tranquility far behind any temporary happiness.

Thank you for the pastors of our church. Please continue working through them to deliver your amazing messages. Help them comfort those in our congregation who may be burdened and overwhelmed. Provide them wisdom to advise and lift spirits of those facing hardships. In the end, Lord, it is up to us to listen to your messengers and be open to change which leads to positive results. Thank you!

I love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment