Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Day of Happiness

Disclaimer: this prayer uses the words happiness and joy interchangeably. However, to be accurate, happiness can be considered more of an external, temporary emotion resulting from events and experiences. Joy, on the other hand, is a more permanent emotion stemming from an internal, spiritual connection. Happiness has a momentary presence, joy is always present.

How often have you said, "I just want to be happy." Do you ever tell your children, "my only wish is for my children to be happy." We wish each other Happy Birthday, Happy Easter, Happy Christmas (ok, if you're British)...we desire happy, happy, happy.

With this common denominator among most people to live in happiness, what prevents them? I think we prevent ourselves from being happy. I don't think we intentionally do things to prevent our happiness, but I think we do choose to let stuff, things, life hold us back from experiencing true joy and contentment.

I have a dear friend who I know wakes up each day joyful. Does she have to work like most everyone else and face challenges in the workplace? Absolutely (she works for Walmart, what do you think)!! Has she lost any loved ones? Tragically, yes (four of them I also had a close connection; her nephew, her father, her mother, and her grandmother). Has she ever faced struggles? Of course, who hasn't? The point is, she's human just like the rest of us, but manages to make lemonade out of all the lemons thrown at her. The secret, my friends, is her ability to let the trials of her life be handled through God's comfort and wisdom.

Day 21: Heavenly Father, thank you for all the lessons you provide to help me embrace the joy you offer. Thank you for placing my amazing, happy friend, Emily, in my life and letting me witness the abundant cheerfulness to be had by giving to you the trials of the everyday human experience. 

Lord, please help me demonstrate to others the way Emily has witnessed to me. Please continue placing positive influences along the paths of my family and friends revealing to them the amazing merriment to be found in this life by not being consumed with life's stuff. Please allow me to connect with others in an empathetic way assuring them I may have experienced similar turmoils in my life, but have found the key to experiencing joy despite those dark moments.

Father God, I used to wish I lived the "Leave It To Beaver" childhood. But, I am thankful for all my experiences both good and bad because I may not have become the person I am today. Lord, please give me strength and clarity when I'm feeling overwhelmed. Please forgive me if I'm consumed with my own pity and forget I am not alone.

I ask for your comforting embrace for a friend who is exhausted from the hurt and sadness he's experienced. He's ready to "be happy", God; he just needs you to lead the way.

I love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment