Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Day of Slop

Many Hoosiers were thrilled with the "heat wave" today with temps reaching the 50s. Even though I don't mind the snow (I mean it is still winter), the frigid temps were wreaking havoc for me and my little one, both asthma sufferers. My plan after work was to take a jog to enjoy a bit of the evening sun.

Thankfully, it dawned on me that my youngest hasn't been able to enjoy much of the snow because of the temps. What better time to take her sledding when there's tons of snow still on the ground and comfortable temps to protect her little lungs! As we trudged through the sloppy mess of snow, we could've easily said it was just too wet (it really was wet). But, instead, we embraced it! After a few attempts getting the sled to go anywhere, we made a nice slick path for giddy fun! Even with boots getting stuck in the slop and falling off our feet, it was a hoot! 

We had a choice: we could've viewed the sloppiness just on the surface as a spoiler for any laughter or we could dig a little deeper and embrace the howls of laughter caused by sopping, sometimes missing, boots! I think this is a nice analogy for people teetering on the edge of Christianity. They could view just the sloppy surface of personal sacrifice required to serve a greater purpose or they could dig through the fear of sloppiness and realize the out of this world life to be experienced giving all to God!! I say enjoy the slop; it's so worth it!!

Day 49: Heavenly Father, thank you for creating me to be an optimist! I find this winter to be perfect (well, nearly). If it was warmer, I may not have appreciated the opportunity presented to share some fun in the uniquely warm temps! Thank you for the sloppy snow sledding celebration today!

Lord, what more can I do to help people understand their fear that faith can "slop" up their lives is merely a myth? I've tried being an example, a witness, a counselor, a confidant, and a resource, but until someone has experienced their own aha! moment with you, I feel lost as to what else to do. How do I get past their fears and reveal the positive transformation that occurs following you personally?

Father God, I pray my loved ones are able to find happiness in sloppy moments! Help them to see the light of opportunity in the darkest moments. Help them to feel the warmth of support during cold, lonely days. Help them find clear direction even in the middle of chaos. It is through you I trust all these things are possible. I cherish my sloppy moments as they realign my focus toward you.

I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment