Sunday, February 16, 2014

Day of Family

I'm sure many share this sentiment: I adore my family. We are all uniquely different and fit together perfectly to form a beautiful picture! I love the skewed lines of our technical relation. For example, even though my mom is technically the eldest sibling, I am viewed as the youngest sister. Even though the only male is technically my uncle, we all call him Bro (or, in my case, Uncle Bro...I promise all legit, no incest). Even though I am technically their niece, I grew up with the girls of "the second family" as my big sisters. Even though I'm technically cousins with their children, I'm really viewed as another aunt. I could never ask for anything more than than this beautiful, convoluted, confusing mess!!

Day 47: Heavenly Father, thank you for blessing me with a loving, supportive group of siblings! I cherish each and every memory with them and have no reason to ask you for anyone more than who you've placed in my life. Thank you for blessing my grandpa and grandma with such a big, beautiful brood who have watched over me throughout my life.

For my mother: Lord, thank you for your timing. Despite the loss I may have felt not really knowing her as a child might want to know her parent, I am thankful for the rekindling of our relationship now. Thank you for challenging me to express my pain, sorrow, joy, and protection with and for her. Hearing those words "I love you Jasmine" from my mom catch me every time. Thank you, Father, for my mother!

For Sarah: Lord, thank you for this amazing momauntsisterfriend. You have blessed her with compassion, intelligence, empathy, and protective arms for which I have often turned for advice and comfort. I hope you had a hand in my Spain trip falling through in high school, Lord, because the time I shared with this lovely woman that summer will be close to my heart always! Thank you, Father, for my aunt!

For "Uncle Bro": Lord, thank you for this entertaining and supportive big brother. I haven't ever really viewed him as an uncle, it seems too distant to the love and adoration I have for his protectiveness and support. The pride he displayed for my time served at the Pentagon has touched me so much. As you know, Lord, I am a pleaser. Knowing my big brother was proud of me motivated me far beyond what anyone might know (even when he tried to get me in trouble by taking a picture behind the podium in the media room in the E ring). Thank you, Father, for my uncle!

For Aly: Lord, where did the saying "laughter is the best medicine" originate? Well, whoever created it, Aly embraced it!! Challenges from childhood couldn't weigh too heavy on my heart with Aly's Raging Barbie stories keeping me in stitches! Father, you placed an extra pinch of sugar in the mold when you created this wonderful sister of mine! Coupled with her humor, her vocal talent brings goosebumps to the surface often. Above all, Lord, she is your child and I feel not only a biological relation to Aly, but also a spiritual one through our acceptance of your Son as our Savior. Thank you, Father, for my aunt!

For Claire: Lord, what sister comforts you when you've vomited in her single size bed and you secretly think you can clean it up without her waking? Awe, you knew...it would be my precious Claire. I adore my little auntie!! Our numerous nighttime snuggles, our weekend trips to grab a bite to eat to visit, my batgirl experience during her softball games...so many memories, Father! My most cherished moment of connection with this lovely, petite blessing was in the delivery room. How magnificent to get to experience my cousin's birth!! Father, it wasn't even planned for me to be in the delivery room, but I am so thankful for plans being tossed away and witnessing my aunt's pure joy at the arrival of my cousin. Thank you, Father, for my aunt!

For Anna: Lord, thank you for my talented, determined, compassionate twin with the other powers. I am in utter awe of her perseverance and commitment to anything she sets her mind. What a role model for me throughout life! Her ability to lift spirits just with her smiles brings such warmth to my heart. I always cherish the weekend pleas for my visits so "we could make cookies" (btw, that meant Jazzy makes the cookies, while the twins taste test them) and the tug-of-wars for who gets to snuggle with Jazzy the heater (btw, I started sleeping on the floor...my arms were tired). One of my favorite memories was awaking the twins over the summer as a joke after having ridden my bike to their house. Seeing Anna's excitement of me being at their house brings tears of joy to me knowing how much I'm loved. (The joke: during one summer, I road to their town every morning...about 14 miles round trip. Periodically, I'd stop to see if anyone was awake. My grandpa was outside. After we exchanged love and hugs, we decided to play a trick. I awakened the twins and told them grandpa got up early and picked me up. The dazed looks on their faces was priceless...I think they picked me up later that day to make cookies.) Thank you, Father, for my aunt!

Father God, I want to always be mindful of your greatest commandments loving you and loving others. Lord, thank you for teaching us, it's not so much about following all these laws and rules, it's about loving each other. Thank you for placing me in the perfect family for me!

I love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment