Thursday, March 6, 2014

Day of Sensitivities

I'm a sensitive person. I cry often, both in joy and sorrow. I've been this way all my life. Generally speaking, it doesn't bother me. I'd like to think God created me with an extra dash of sensitive to help me be more empathetic to people's struggles. What an honor to be able to show God's love being attentive to the pains of others!

However, admittedly, on rare occasions it irritates me! Sometimes, I would like to be able to not give situations a second thought. Despite being confident the intent of my actions and words are genuinely out of love and care for others, when I'm caught off guard by a reaction I wasn't expecting, I'm lost. I am compelled to question my motives which can be downright exhausting emotionally, even though I know I try to come from a place of positivity. (I'm certainly not perfect and always growing, but I think I do an okay job in this area.) If I was able to have a more take it or leave it attitude knowing my intentions are to show God's love, I would save myself time obsessing the "what did I do or say?"

Sometimes, I just want to just let things go, but I have this desire to be liked. I'm not talking the "I wanna hang with the cool kids" kind of acceptance, but rather being the person everyone knows  through whom they can always experience God's love. It physically pains me when someone doesn't feel I've bestowed God's love to them through my words or actions.

Day 65: Heavenly Father, please help me embrace fully my sensitivities as a gift to share your love for others and not as an irritant when I just may not be someone's cup of tea. Thank you for instilling in me a desire for self evaluation and the motivation to mend relationships I may have harmed by my words or actions.

Lord, is there a balance to be found between being too sensitive and indifferent? Should a balance be sought? Is it dangerous to be too empathetic if it can be wearing emotionally? I pray for knowledge in this area and clarity for situations in which I feel an internal conflict. 

Father God, despite my temporary discomfort when things may not go as I expected they might, I am thankful you have created me this way. I want to honor and glorify you always, even if I must experience pains or turmoil to do so.

I love you.


Source: http://wwweamonreillydotcom.deviantart.com/art/The-Story-of-a-HSP-Highly-Sensitive-Person-384626930

No comments:

Post a Comment