Sunday, March 30, 2014

Day of the Word

It's strange for me to comprehend there are people in the world who don't know about the Bible. As a Christian, it's my blueprint for life, my guide for tranquility, and God's autobiography.

Yet, even with these idyllic views of the Word, if asked why I read the Bible, I honestly have to say out of guilt. Admittedly, I feel compelled to read the Bible because that's what is expected of Christians, right? Thank goodness for our  Mutiply community group bringing this question to the forefront. 

What I desire (and need my humanness to get out of the way), is this all consuming, I can't breathe without it draw to the scripture. Just as it is written in 1 Peter 2:2 "Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation," I crave this unwavering draw to the Word and let it be the guide for my days and nights! 

Day 82: Heavenly Father, thank you for revealing all your glory to me through the Bible. Thank you for your lessons, your direction, your expectation, your hope, and your love in an easy to follow roadmap that just requires its pages to be opened.

Lord, I desire the need other followers have for your Word. I understand why and can share with others to read daily, but I fall so short in my own daily reading. Forgive me for rationalizing away this disconnection. I'll justify it by telling myself "you're praying daily, you're reading spiritual books, you're hosting community groups, you listen Christian music, you attend worship, and you participate in bible studies. Don't beat yourself up if you're not reading the Bible as often as others may think you should." But, Father, all this is for not if I do not connect with you daily in the scripture. The Bible is our earthly glimpse into you. These words provide the deepest connection we can have to you, yet I fail to read. Please forgive me. 

Father God, you've used the "hit me upside the head" message so successfully in me in the past, why not now? Or am I answering my own question by saying you want me to crave not because you tell me to (authoritatively), but because my human heart desires this connection. Is that the lesson? Am I standing in the way to the life changing book because I have yet to surrender all and believe I need the Word. I pray for the wisdom to know the answer. I pray I get out of your way by surrendering all to you. I pray I may let your Word shower me with its cleansing power.

I love you.


Source: http://kittimurray.com/other/2013/11/07/three-pragmatic-reasons-why-i-read-the-bible-almost-every-day/

No comments:

Post a Comment