Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Day of Assumption

The little one was late to school today...again! So much for teaching her to be prompt! After I parked and signed her into school, I noticed an extremely disgruntled parent parked behind me. Despite her child also being a late arrival, she chose to just drop him off. Apparently, I wasn't returning to my vehicle as quickly as she preferred. With hands waving in the air, she sped around me nearly hitting my door.

My first reaction was anger at the audacity of her behavior when she was the one running late. Then, I felt pained for the boy who had to explain why his mother didn't sign him into school. Lastly, I felt guilt!

I don't know what struggles this woman faces. Perhaps, she doesn't have as flexible a work schedule as I enjoy. Maybe, she faces marital turmoil which kept her delayed. It's possible she's suffering an illness or grieving for someone who is.

I was challenged today not to assume someone's circumstances. It's incredibly easy to judge someone based on a limited interaction. I am just as guilty as anyone in this area. What I continue learning in my old age is although information is extremely important, we can't be quick to judge. I think it's okay to make observations, gather information, and process what we've compiled. However, we need to witness actions and share open dialogue when we have questions. 

Day 63: Heavenly Father, thank you for a much needed reminder not to be too quick to judge. Thank you for your graciousness when I need the reminder more often than I'd like to admit. Thank you for instilling in me a respect for self reflection and desire for continuous improvement.

Lord, I know many of your faithful servants do not struggle with this issue? Why are we so different? You created us, you are within us, yet there are no two humans to respond in the same way. How do we become so uniquely different?

Father, you've provided countless lessons of Jesus' interactions with others knowing the good, the bad, and the ugly about them, yet He welcomed each with open arms and without preconceived notions. How can I be Christ-like? I desire to avoid assumption, presumption, prejudice, and judgement. I want each of my interactions to be welcoming and loving.

Father God, as I've requested in the past, please beat me upside the head to improve in the area. Feel free to get out the crayons if I just don't get it!

I love you.


Source: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/292734044499188463/

No comments:

Post a Comment