Sunday, March 23, 2014

Day of Equipment

On Thursday, while my eldest continued preparing for her upcoming mission trip, I took the little one to purchase her first softball glove. Expecting a quick stop at Play It Again Sports, I didn't plan much time for the excursion (she is only 5 after all). But, alas, ALL of the gloves in her size were gone. We tried some smaller and bigger gloves, but none of them fit quite right.

It's important for her to have the appropriate equipment to ensure this doesn't stand in her way enjoying her first year of softball. Off we went to Dick's Sporting Goods! We scoured the shelves searching for a glove with the perfect fit. We could've settled for her sister's hammy downs, but I want my youngest to have her own memories with her own equipment. We could've grabbed the first glove we saw, but if it didn't fit quite right, she might get discouraged and quit before she ever got a chance to experience the joys of the game. We could've settled for a baseball mitt versus one for softball (not too much difference at the tee-ball age), but it would seem like a compromise. After much searching, we found a glove she's excited to start using.

Searching for equipment is similar to church shopping. One of the things I love about the Christian faith is the variety of church families to join. Some people might suggest the slight differences in doctrine from one church to the next actually cause rifts within the faith or may foster rationalization for non-believers to say "you can't even agree on doctrine, let alone unity!"

For me, the variety allows people from all walks of life to find a church family who meet the unique qualities and life experiences of each and every person. You could borrow the beliefs of someone else or you can seek a congregation for which you feel most comfortable. You could join the first congregation out of guilt or obligation, but quickly become bitter and disengaged because it doesn't fit your specific faith journey needs. You could even choose a church which on the outside looks like what you're seeking, but the church doctrine appeals to congregants who may not align with your personal convictions, thus compromising a part of you.

When seeking a new church, I've found an unyielding desire to shop until I find one that fits like a glove! It creates my own memories/experiences along my faith journey, it keeps me falling in love with Jesus daily never becoming complacent and disengaged, and it allows me to reveal my vulnerabilities comfortably knowing I'm supported by others who share things of similar importance. Never give up finding a church to foster Christ's love within you. When you find a church that fits like a glove, you can embrace God's plan for you uninhibited!!

Day 79: Heavenly Father, thank you for instilling in me a desire to keep seeking my role in your church. Thank you for providing me free will to choose a church which does not distract me from fulfilling your role for me. Thank you for guiding me to Carmel United Methodist Church.

Lord, I pray each member of my church spends time in self reflection ensuring they feel our church fits like a glove for them. As much as I would never want to lose members of our congregation, more importantly, I don't want followers to feel complacent and not quite right in their place of worship. It seems more important to help believers find a congregation in which they can thrive for your glory than to ensure we don't lose numbers and financial offerings. 

Father God, I fear if we are not equipped appropriately through our devotion to you, our love for others, and our recognition of the importance of finding an appropriate church, we cannot build disciples who can build disciples. I trust what you place on my heart can help ensure my lasting commitment to you. I want to go wherever, whenever, and whatever!

I love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment