Monday, May 5, 2014

Day of Character

Life can sure throw curveballs, can't it? How we respond to those curveballs demonstrates our character! Of course, it's easy to lash out in anger spewing hateful words or retreat into a world of self pity. What's more difficult is being able to roll with the punches! This ability to not let the curveballs have a long-term, negative effect on one's demeanor not only demonstrates the epitome of respectable character, but also portrays the way God wants us to display love even to those causing harm.

I'll be the first to admit, I have to work actively in this area. As with many, my initial angst can resonate and fuel a desire to lash out against the curveballs. But, if I'm able to keep it contained long enough, there's an opportunity to calm down, go through the pros/cons of response, and consider how Jesus would want me to respond. Don't get me wrong, anger is a perfectly natural response (hello, Jesus + temple = anger). Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't think having anger is innately sinful. It's how we respond to such anger that gets us into trouble.

Here are a couple of examples. Say you lose your job. You're rightfully hurt and angry. You hold onto this "injustice" into your next interview. In the conversation, you're asked about previous employment. Because of the bitterness you've retained, you bad mouth your former employer. Holding on to that bitterness and anger costs you a new job. Instead, you could proclaim the past is in the past, be selectively cautious in accepting a position which may have parallel circumstances, and consider this a new opportunity.

Another example is my daughter's mature approach to her sports dilemma this season. She's not a quitter, but most kids by now would have thrown in the towel. Her coach has been less than supportive of her academics, disengages from any mentoring opportunities to improve my daughter's skills, and takes for granted the positive energy brought to the team by my daughter's support for her team. I hit a last straw moment last week from yet more snide comments from my daughter's coach regarding her academics. I told my daughter she needs to speak her mind, stand up for herself, and not let the coach be a bully. I let my anger and protection for my daughter cloud my judgement of teaching her about character and rising above. Thankfully, her maturity came out far beyond mine. She said she's not going to say anything this season. She won't quite, will cheer for her team, and be available should the coach want to sub her into a game. After the season, she'll work to improve her skills, try out next year, and let her coach witness the opportunities she's missed this year. That's character, folks! She's demonstrating God's love by not lashing out with emotion, but rather creating a calculated opportunity to show through her own behavior how athletes should interact with one another.

Day 97: Heavenly Father, thank you for placing pauses in my thoughts to gain my composure when I want to respond immediately to curveballs. Thank you for building such character in my daughter and the daily lessons I learn from her.

Lord, I ask for the Spirit to wash over my thoughts when I'm angry. I ask for the Spirit's comforting presence when I feel on the defensive. I ask for your wisdom to express my concerns objectively. I ask for refreshing reminders of Jesus' interactions with the Pharisees to emulate true character.

Father God, I am thankful for my daughter's maturity, but wish she could just enjoy being a teenager. I am in awe of her character, but wish she didn't have to experience so many situations requiring her to display wisdom beyond her years. I know you have an amazing plan for her life, but if I could ask for her shielding of some difficult situations, I would be indebted. I trust your plans for all of us and pray for your protection of my daughter from burning out before her life even really begins.

I love you.

Source: http://aheartforthehome.com/character-first-curriculum-review-give-away/


No comments:

Post a Comment