Sunday, May 4, 2014

Day of Heart

I think I mentioned in a previous prayer (forgive me for the repeat, but it's a good kind of repeat) there are people who have stated in an ethereal, starry-eyed, softness that Jesus lives in their hearts. In a way, they are right in the sense that after Jesus' ascension, the Holy Spirit filled our hearts with God's eternal presence. (So, just as a reminder, if you think Jesus as the man is literally living in your heart, then a trip to the doctor may be in order.)

Knowing the Spirit is with me provides comfort; but generally speaking, I really only feel the Spirit's literal presence in those arm hairs on end moments. (As an aside similar to if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around type ponderance, if you shave your arm hair, do you still have the joy of feeling God bumps?) Back on topic. I would like to have those moments of reminding me of the Spirit's presence all the time; so, in some ways, although I'm overwhelmingly thankful, I'm envious of a neverending feeling.

Then, God answered! In my Spiritual Gifts class last week, our awesome leader, Sandra, provided the most amazing definition of God's heart. As most of us know and why it's sometimes so difficult to feel connected to our Father in the sky, God's vastness and greatness are beyond the comprehension of humans. Because He knew we could not understand and feel all that He does, He placed a piece of His heart in each of us. How does that hit your chest? For me, it's that out of breath, chest tightening, stomach collapsing feeling to think about God literally being a part of me and a part of you. Holy cow!! I don't know about you, but having a piece of God's heart and the presence of His Spirit certainly provides me that neverending feeling I've sought for some time.

Day 85: Heavenly Father, thank you for trusting me to hold a piece of your heart amongst all my brokenness. I'm humbled by your willingness to place a piece of yourself in each of us when we fall so short to your glory. Thank you for blessing Sandra with such wisdom to relay this amazing gift of yourself.

Lord, I take you for granted. You gave me life, I crave something more. You gave me your Son, my sinfulness killed Him on the cross. You gave me your Spirit, I want more than goosebumps. You gave me your heart, I surround it with impurities. Yet, Lord, you don't give up on me; your faithful to your promises; and, you protect me from myself. I am not worthy, but so thankful you don't give up.

Father God, your humble servants Sidewalk Prophets speak so closely to my desire to be one with you always. They plead for you to "make them broken." All too often, Father, we fail to call for you in all our sorrows AND joys. When we are lost, we beg for your presence; but, when things are going well, we act like it results only from our doing. I cannot ignore you during the ups and demand your presence in the downs; you are a part of me ALWAYS. Thank you for sharing a piece of you within me.

I love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment